16 February 2022

Events and Accolades

 Tucson is awakening from winter slumber, and the coming few months will see desert people enjoying the weather and activities that all get crammed into a short window of time before the sun turns up again. I know I'll be busy.


My book Codex Sonora, published by Polytropos Press, is chosen by Margie Trujillo-Farmer as one of the "Top Picks" for Southwest Books of the Year 2022. This competition involves nominations from Arizona, Southern California, Nevada, New Mexico, and West Texas having a Southwest theme. I'm honored (surprised!) to have my book of art and obscured writing included among a group traditionally known for literary works.


As a consequence, I'll be at the Tucson Festival of Books 2022, March 12-13, in the Pima County Public Library tent. I'll be presenting in an interview-style presentation with the author, academic, and Emmy Award-winning media representative of the desert David Yetman. Moderating will be the New York Times best-selling author, academic, and journalist Tom Zoellner. The event titled Two Views of the Sonoran Desert is Saturday, March 12th, 11:30 am in the UArizona Student Union Tucson Room with a sales and signing event immediately after.


Codex Sonora in the Welcome Gallery of Tohono Chul - a show of all my desert prints runs February 11 – April 27, 2022, in tandem with the Roy J. Kurtz Collection of American Indian Art show in the main gallery. Both have a reception on Thursday, February 24, at 5:30 pm. I saw some of the American Indian Art during installation. It is an IMPRESSIVE donation and undertaking for donor Roy Kurtz, Director of Education and Exhibitions James Schaub, and Nicole George, Assistant Curator of Exhibitions & Collections Manager.