25 June 2014

Obelix Havasupai

Obelix Havasupai Closeup
I've been working with some graphic symbols that came out of a vector-based automatic writing set of sessions.  Thinking about letters, sigils, symbols and am exploring their meaning more specifically now. Maybe they are part of a larger symbology.  Maybe part of a mandelic pantheon of universal balance.  Maybe part of a personal psychological system like tarot.  The world-building continues...

The symbols used in this one are geologic, stone, earth-like.  A cube shape has been haunting me so I built one from the symbols themselves.  Could be a 3-dimensional sentence.  Could be a set of dice.  Could be keys turned to access another realm.  I want to explore this concept further.  I keep tuning into an "Ancient Future" feeling that has a lot of juice and I'm scurrying down the rabbit hole after it.

I worked from a photo I took while riding a helicopter out of Havasu Falls, a tributary of the Grand Canyon.  All the inking is done with a Crow Quill and india ink.  I listened to "Kafkaesque", an hour-long ambient drone piece of music by Australian artist "Soul in limbo" over and over again while working on it.  So, I guess that might be the soundtrack.

Obelix Havasupai